Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sex Criminals

For this week I decided to read the first volume of Sex Criminals. It was rather interesting to read a story like this one, I had no idea what to expect. I went in with an open mind and absolutely no clue what was in store. The writing was clever and witty, the characters were fun, everyone one had a underlining factor that made them stand out. From their poses to their dialogue, it was interesting to watch them develop as the story continued.

The way the story played out, I had assumed “The Quiet” was more like a state of mind rather than a period in which time stopped completely. So after the characters had sex and they were shocked at the paused time period, it was then I realized what “The Quiet” actually was. that simply made the developing story far more interesting. The fact that they used sex as means to improve the library Suzie worked in was great. It was never for a selfish reason, but rather to help a public location that desperately needed saving. In the process the two characters grew closer.

Having sex as the focal point of the story was something I didn’t quite expect. With a title like “Sex Criminal”, I figured something sexual was bound to appear. However, the last thing on my mind was literally people who had sex in order to enact acts of crime. While the sex was an act for the two to grow closer and rely to one another, it became more of an element rather than a sexual act for the sake of sex. It became the weapon of choice for these characters to live out acts they had always wanted to. With the backstories we were given, it is obvious these are characters that had been wanting to act out pent up anger and sadness. “The Quiet” was a place where they were allowed to do as such.


Sex Criminals is far more intriguing than I thought it would be and I’m incredibly glad that I picked this graphic novel to read. It’s endearing, well draw, well written, and loads of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment